On April 8, Apple unveiled plans for the biggest and most exciting iPhone software update yet. iPhone OS 4 will include over 100 new user features for iPhone and iPod touch owners to enjoy. And for developers, a new software development kit (SDK) offers over 1500 new APIs to create apps that are even more powerful, innovative, and amazing.
- Pulls up a dock on the bottom of the screen when you double-click the home key. The dock displays all of your programs that are running.
- Programs aren’t really running in the background, but you get access to 7 actions, multitasking essentials. Background audio, VOIP, Background location, Push Notifications, Local notifications, Task completion and Fast App Switching.
- Apps are frozen so when you switch back, you get back to that state.
- VOIP like Skype can act like a regular phone call, with a red bar on the top when you navigate away from Skype.
- You can use folders now to organise your apps, with multiple items in each folder, giving you more room for more apps. You can add the folders on the dock as well.
- The image of a folder containing smaller images of the apps inside.
- Background for all app screens, just like the iPad.
- Background can be different from Lock Screen.
- Unified Inbox
- Multiple Exchange Accounts
- Follow threads by tapping on >> icon
- Fast inbox switching for going to dedicated inbox.
- Open attachments with third-party apps from app store (cool if you develop your own ebook reader)
- Supports iPhone now
- Wireless sync books and bookmarks from iPad (like Whispersync and Amazon’s Kindle)
- Mail encryption.
- Wireless app distribution for local companies (you host the app on your server and distribute to clients).
- Exchange Server 2010
- SSL VPN Support
- Social gaming network
- Invite freinds, do matchmaking, leaderbords
- Mobile advertising for the iPhone OS.
- A way to fund free apps.
- Apps interactive and keep user inside app they’re currently in.
- Apple hosts ads on their servers, does a 60/40 split with Developers.
- ALl coded in HTML5.
- Tap banner, ad pulls up, click x to close ad and get back to app.
- Games, maps and videos can be in ad, making it completely interactive.
- In-ad purchasing as well.